Have you ever looked at, or watched someone else at work and thought, “Wow, that person has really found their purpose in life. They are doing just what they were meant to do.”
Although elated for them, perhaps thoughts washed over you such as, “I wish I could find my purpose in life? How do I figure out what I was truly meant to do? What is the best course of action for me?”
When I think about finding purpose, I think about an expression we’ve probably all heard numerous times throughout our lives; from parents, teachers and mentors.
Actions speak louder than words.
Mahatma Gandhi, in his eloquent fashion said the same expression this way:
“Action expresses priority.”
Simply put, when we look at what we do in relation to the activities and circumstances in our lives, the action we take, often expresses what we put at the top of our list. But, how do we even begin to define that list? How do we reset, focus and follow our passion and life purpose, no matter what?
Here are 5 steps designed to help you begin to create your life purpose and follow it passionately:
• Take a look at your day. Be aware of where your action lies. Your action could be in a lot of different places. The gym? The office? The phone? Family? The computer? The television?
• People tend to act upon those things that have meaning to them. The more urgent a particular cause is to you, the more likely you are to act upon it, and with an equal vehemence. You might think your priorities are in one space and your action is in another. But take time and listen, actions speak louder than words.
• Write down the things that are most important to you and then rank them by order of importance. These things that matter most to you are most likely your passions and clues to your life purpose. They act as an “inner GPS” for the decisions you make in your life.
• Look at your list and determine what thing is the most important to you. These things are your passions and the breadcrumbs that lead you to your life purpose. If you made decisions and choices around these passions and found and started living your life purpose how would it help others?
• Write down any false beliefs, concepts or ideas that may be holding you back from moving in the direction of your passions. Take a mental note of this list, crinkle it up and toss it in the circular file. You are all about forward momentum now!!!
Scott Dinsmore Founder & Chief Experimenter at Live Your Legend said,
“The intersection of your true values and super powers, backed with relentless passion, is where the magic happens.”
Here’s to us all finding our superpowers.
If you are interested in taking the Passion Test to help clarify your top 5 passions contact Terry today at firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you enjoyed Be Purposeful, the second in a series of blog posts that focus on enhancing one’s life purpose, goals and the ability to take positive action. Stay tuned for Terry’s next installment, Be Aligned.